BYLAWS for the University of Cincinnati STUDENT CHAPTER of the
Institute for OPERATIONS RESEARCH and the MANAGEMENT SCIENCES (INFORMS)
ARTICLE I - NAME
1. The name of this organization shall be the University of Cincinnati Student
Chapter of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences
ARTICLE II - PURPOSE
1. To encourage interest in the field of operations research and the management
2. To provide a means of communication between people having interest in the
management sciences and operations research;
3. To provide an informal means of exchanging information about operations
research and the management sciences educational programs and opportunities;
4. To provide an informal means of exchanging information about the methods and
techniques of the management sciences and operations research;
5. To present a forum of visiting or in-house speakers from both academic and non-
ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP
1. Any persons interested in operations research and/or the management sciences
may become a member of this Chapter by completing a membership application
and submitting it with the proper dues.
2. The regular membership shall be open to undergraduate and graduate students at
the University of Cincinnati.
3. Honorary memberships shall be decided by a two-thirds approval vote of the
regular memberships in attendance at any meeting.
4. All members shall have equal rights, duties, and privileges. Dues shall be payable
at the beginning of the Fall term each year.
5. Membership and participation shall be free from discrimination based on race,
religion, ethnic group, national origin, handicap, sex, or sexual orientation.
ARTICLE IV - OFFICERS
1. Officers of the organization and their duties shall be the following:
President: Shall preside at meetings and represent the group in external affairs.
Vice President: Shall take over the duties of the president in his/her absence.
He/She shall also administer all cultural and social activities.
Secretary: Shall take the minutes of the meetings and shall be responsible for
such matters as correspondence and notification of meetings. The secretary
shall maintain contact with INFORMS liaison (as designated by the INFORMS
Board) and shall file an annual report describing the Chapter's activities and
Treasurer: Shall be responsible for all financial matters, including all financial
records and an annual financial statement to be included with the annual report.
The treasurer shall keep accounts, deposit the organization's funds, and make
expenditures in a fiscally sound manner.
2. Terms of Office: The terms of each office shall be one complete school year.
Each officer will be elected at the April meeting of the Spring term. The elected
officer must receive a majority of the votes cast by members present.
3. Nominations: At the penultimate meeting, the officers shall nominate at least one
candidate for each of the four officer positions being filled, namely, President,
Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Additional nominations may be made by
petition signed by at least five members or from the floor of an election meeting.
4. Voting: Elections shall be held by secret ballot at the last general meeting of the
Officer's term of office. A majority of ballots cast by members for each office
shall be necessary for election. Ties shall be resolved by means of fair random
ARTICLE V - MEETINGS
The Chapter will hold at least two meetings per term. The time, place, and agenda of
each meeting shall be set by the Officers and announced one week in advance by the
ARTICLE VI - RESPONSIBILITIES TO INFORMS
The Chapter and its officers, under Charter from INFORMS, are accountable to the
Institute for all operations and procedures of the Chapter. The INFORMS Board may
suspend or revoke the Charter of the Chapter for inappropriate operations and/or
ARTICLE VII - DUES
Dues to defer annual operating expenses may be assessed on all members by a
majority vote of those present at a meeting.
ARTICLE VIII - AMENDMENTS
Amendments to the Bylaws may be made in any meeting following an announcement
in a previous meeting or by the Secretary. The Secretary, no later than seven days
before the next meeting, shall submit in writing the proposed Amendment to all
members of the Chapter and the vote will occur at the next meeting. The Amendment
must be approved by two-thirds of the members present. Following approval by the
Chapter, the Amendment must be sent to the INFORMS liaison who will present the
Amendment to the INFORMS Board. The Amendment becomes effective when
approved by the INFORMS Board.